Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Time Traveler's Dilemma

I make games. I never thought I would be making games but looking back on my life I was always good at playing them.

I grew up in Fruit Valley, Washington which was a pretty rough part of town at the time.

My mother moved us out of the Columbia Villa Projects, which was government-subsidized housing in Portland, Oregon just before the Crips (major LA gang) took over in the early 80's, and into one of the most racially-biased, unforgiving environments I have ever known.

That's where I got good at playing games. But these games were for survival. They were games of strategy. A good strategy meant the difference between life and death.

Today, I create games not only to better understand the world around me but to help others understand the world in which we live through discussions about human behavior, the choices we make and our humanity.

Here's a sample.

The Time Traveler's Dilemma

Storyline:

Imaging yourself in your room. You turn around and see your future self (you undoubtly recognize yourself).

Your future self says this (in a panic): "I only have a few seconds, you're the inventor of time travel...DON'T DO IT!" Then vanishes right in front of you.

The game / Discussion:
Would you invent time travel anyway?

(Note-for those studying game theory, this game is based on the atomic game of Coordination)

No comments: